Sunday 28 November 2010



Sorry about how late this has been, it's been hell of a busy week and I only managed to get this game finished late Friday by which time, I'd already got people round and then the staff party last night so this has been the best chance to do this mini-review, so I'm going for it!


[SPOILERS AHEAD! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED]

This post will be covering the game Metro 2033 made by THQ and released in Spring 2010. I have one question though before I start this post? Why is this game not as popular as it should be? So I'm going to blag my way through this and maybe you can add your own thoughts to it later about what you think. Here we go then...

To me, this is one of them games you will pick up in the future from your old dusty collection of old games and have some urge just to play it all through again. Similiar what we'd do now with one of our old Nintendo games or Playstation 1 games :P This game seriously did not receive the reception it deserved, because this game is actually really good in my opinion and I never hear or see many people mentioning. I'm not sure why though, I guess it just never got out there in people's faces like other games have done in the past, that's one of the reasons I've heard, that THQ barely did much advertising for this game. Why not? I'm not sure, I'll do my research later...But seriously this game is completely worth it and you can pick it up extremely cheap for the time it's been out, I think £10 on PC from most places and £20-£25 on Xbox 360, maybe even less.

Well for the purpose of trying to get this out to you guys as quick as possible, I played the game through on Easy so I could quickly do it, I'd already had a save half way through but I couldn't recall the storyline as well.  So Metro 2033 is Nazi's, Mutants and a post-apocalyptic Russia. Sounds pretty good to me, sounds different, maybe similar to such games like Fallout etc.  and in some aspects it is. So the story of the game is the citizens of Moscow have moved down into the Metro tunnels where they live until they can one day live on the surface again. They have the stations which seem to operate themselves as the small settlements people have set up which have their own laws and rules, so it's different in every station pretty much, so this was a nice aspect of expecting something different every time. The game starts up and your on the surface, something happens and you find yourself playing from a week ago after this point, so it's the build up to what you've just seen.

You play as a young Russian man called Artyom and are introduced to another Ranger who seem to be lone warriors who roam the metro. He gives you a task to bring awareness to the Metro you currently live in, so that the Dark Ones do not destroy that station like they have with many more. Due to the strong feelings your character has, he accepts the task and makes his way though the metro tunnels, coming across different companions, stations, monsters, factions and even the surface. Overall though, I think the story is definitely a good one, it's a nice plot and has a nice ending which seems to leave us on a cliffhanger (More on this later). At times the story does feel stale and you just cannot be bothered any more, but then something happens and your completely thrown in again!

I love the combat in this game, great weapons which many customisations, they have a good variety with a nice control lay-out. They brought out a DLC pack which contained a feature which would change the control lay-out so it was specific for console controllers rather than PC. The fun thing about the combat in this game is, you have got to be concious about the amount of bullets you use. Why because they is hardly any of it? Nope. Ammo in Metro 2033 is the currency for the game and depending on the condition of the bullet determines how much it is worth. Again sometimes it does seem that the combat does drag on, but like the story line, events happen which turn everything again and drags you back for more.

What other little touches are there...Well there is the torch light which can be charged up every so often to increase the strength of the light and it's range which is pretty cool I thought. While wearing a gas mask during combat as well is pretty cool and fun. While in combat the gas mask will take damage which will make your screen look dirty and cracked, making you feel like your the character especially when your in the dark alone!

Cracked gas mask in Metro 2033

There is a ton of awesome stuff in the game which I am yet to find all of it, but what I've come across so far is pretty amazing tbf. Obviously the game has it's flaws but they can be vastly improved on in the upcoming sequel. Yep that is right. THQ have confirmed they are currently working on a sequel to Metro 2033 which shall be called "Metro 2034". No release date or estimated date has been given apart from it will be a few years before we see it. I will definitely be getting that one to see how this story is going to further expand. Anyway, I believe that will be it for now! I hope you've enjoyed reading my post and I'll be back soon with some Red Dead Redemption updates and hopefully some DLC!

Any feedback negative or positive is highly appreciated! Contact me if you have any questions regarding the game or blog and I'll try answer them!

Daz-Noob
Happy gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment